The area of Kežmarok was already settled 50 000 years ago. It is proved by the archaeological finds from the early Stone Age up to the period of the Slavonic settling. The Slavonic finds found in the Kežmarok area date back to the 9th and 10th century.
Kežmarok was established by merging several settlements of the original Slavonic inhabitants with a settlement of German colonists (the settlements are first mentioned in 1251), who came after the Tartars´ invasion.
In the place of the present-day castle, the Church of St. Elisabeth stood in the 2nd half of the 13th century. The church belonged to the village of the Saxon colonists. The bases of the church and the adjacent buildings were uncovered in 1964 and they can be observed in the present-day castle courtyard. The castle belongs to the type of the so-called town castles. It was built right in the area of the Town of Kežmarok in order to protect it against the possible enemies. However, finally, its owners fought against Kežmarok, which did not want to give up its rights of the royal town and to become just an ordinary peasant town.
In 1463, the king Matthias granted Kežmarok the rights of using the coat of arms and sealing with red wax. All over Slovakia, there is not such a coat of arms document as that of Kežmarok. The coat of arms was placed into the middle, in the other ones, it was painted into the top left corner. The Kežmarok document was ranked among the cultural sights of the Slovak Republic.
The building of Lyceum comes from 1774 - 1776. It acquired its today´s look by extensions of the first and second floors in the 19th century. In 1787 - 1852, academic classes with the departments of Philosophy, Law, and Theology were established besides the eight class grammar school, and the school changed into a lyceum. In 1852, the lyceum classes were cancelled and the school became the grammar school again.
In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the Protestants living in Kežmarok decided to build a new and more representative temple. In 1870, a church delegation visited the country´s main architect Teofil Hansen, who gave them his own projects, originally intended for Orient. The project of the church interested them with its uniqueness - its building style should not be uniform but eclectic - the building should include the Byzantine, Romanesque, Renaissance, Moorish and even Oriental elements. The church was commenced in 1872, and in 1880 it was already roofed over. The financial problems caused that the construction was interrupted and the church was completed and sanctified only in 1894.
The Holy Cross Church dates back to the times of founding of the Slavonic settlement. Its oldest stone parts (a part of the tower ground floor) come from the Romanesque church from the half of the 13th century. The church as we can see it today comes from 1444 - 1498 when it was greatly rebuilt in the Gothic style. The church has three naves and as it was rebuilt many times it has a unique vault consisting of three types - reticulated, star and cross.
Hradné námestie (the Castle Square street) is separated from Hlavné námestie (the Main Square street) with distance arches. Houses were originally built in the Gothic-Renaissance style. Those at the beginning of the Castle Square have the roofs typical for the Spiš Region. Most of the houses were rebuilt in the 19th and 20th century.
The Main Square witnessed all the important events, which took place in the town. In the 15th century, the Hungarian king Sigmund and Polish king Vladislav visited the town, in the 19th century the Saxon king Friedrich August II., in the 20th century the Siamese Prince, the President of the Czechoslovak Republik T. G. Masaryk, and all the presidents of the Slovak Republic.